Public Holidays in Russia - Праздники в России
The Russian New Year is celebrated on January, 1,2, 3,4 and 5 or on January, 13 (which is the first of the year according to the Julian calendar, used in Russia before 1918). This holiday usually flows directly into the celebration of Christmas on January, 7.
On February, 23, which is Day of the Defenders of the Motherland Russia honours those who are serving in the Armed Forces and those who have served in the past. During the era of the Soviet Union, it was marked as the Day of the Soviet Army and Navy (marking the day of the first combat action against the occupying German army in World War I).
International Women's Day is celebrated every March, 8. The United Nations declares this day to celebrate women and the accomplishments they have made to society. It is not celebrated much throughout the world. On this day, women in Russia are presented with gifts and thanked for their work, love and devotion.
On the first two days of May which are the holiday of Spring and Labour, the workers of Russia are honoured, along with the coming of spring. In the former Soviet Union, 1 May was May Day and was celebrated with huge parades in cities.
Every May, 9, Russia pauses to celebrate the Victory Day commemorating victory over Nazi Germany, while remembering those who fell in order to achieve it. May, 9 was chosen, since the day before in 1945, the Germans gave up to the Soviet Union and its Allies. May, 9 was when the peace took effect. A military parade is usually held in Moscow to celebrate the day On June, 12 Russia formally left the Soviet Union. The holiday of Independence Day was established by Boris Yeltsin, however, it was his successor Vladimir Putin who made it into a big celebration. Military parades could take place on this day in Moscow and other large cities.
November, 4, Day of People's Unity, or National unity day, was first celebrated in 2005. It commemorates the popular uprising which threw the Polish occupying force out from Moscow in November of 1612, and more generally the end of foreign intervention in Russia. Its name alludes to the idea that all the classes of the Russian society willingly united to preserve the Russian state when its collapse seemed inevitable.
Translate the following sentences into English - Переведите следующие предложения на английский
- День защитника отечества отмечается 23 февраля и чествует тех, кто служил в Вооруженных Силах. В советскую эпоху он отмечался как День Советской Армии и Военно-морского Флота и увековечивал день первого сражения с наступающей германской армией в Первой мировой войне.
- Организация Объединенных Наций объявила 8 марта Международным женским днем, чтобы воздать почести женщинам и отметить их в клад в жизнь общества.
- Русский Новый год отмечается 1—5 января или 14 января, которое было первым днем года по юлианскому календарю, использовавшемуся в России до 1918 года.
- Первые два дня в мае — это Праздник весны и труда, он отмечался массовыми шествиями в городах.
- День победы празднуется 9 мая, чтобы отметить победу над фашистской Германией и почтить память тех, кто пал, чтобы завоевать эту победу.
- День независимости отмечается 12 июня; он был установлен Борисом Ельциным и стал широко праздноваться при его преемнике Владимире Путине.
Поделиться ссылкой на эту страницу в любимой соцсети:
Отправить ссылку на эту страницу друзьям | Просмотров 2796 | Добавить страницу в избранное
- Day of the Defenders of the Motherland is celebrated on February, 23 and honours those who are serving in the Armed Forces, during the Soviet era it was marked as the Day of the Soviet Army and Navy and marked the day of the first combat action against the occupying German army in World War I.
- The United Nations declared March, 8 International Women's Day to celebrate women and the accomplishments they have made to society.
- The Russian New Year is celebrated on January 1 — 5 or on January, 13 which was the first day of the year according to Julian calendar used in Russia before 1918.
- The first two days of May are the holiday of Spring and Labour and are celebrated with huge parades in cities.
- The Victory Day is celebrated on May, 9 to commemorate victory over Nazi Germany, remembering those who fell in order to achieve it.
- Independence Day celebrated on June, 12 was established by Boris Yeltsin and made into a big celebration by his successor Vladimir Putin.